Some Catalan local administrations are implementing successful digital transformation projects. However, others try it unsuccessfully and many have not even started the transformation either because of fear of change, lack of knowledge or resources.
It would be good if those involved in the digital transformation of administrations who are currently having difficulty deploying their initiatives and future plans have a space where they can find information and contacts about projects that have been carried out under similar conditions and scales. . A site that provided answers and facilitated the debate on:
Which councils have been digitally transformed in recent times? How have they done it? What has worked for them and what has not? Can we contact them? And pay them a visit? Can we establish lines of collaboration?
Having the opportunity to find answers to these and many other questions, to be able to exchange and share real experiences, would be a real hope for the councils and local bodies of Catalonia that are lagging behind in the digital transformation. It is not the same to embark on the adventure alone and unarmed as to do so at the hands of the most advanced and experienced.
That is why, despite there are bright and inspiring initiatives such as Bank of Good Practices of Local Governments of Catalonia, Smart Catalonia Observatory, CitiesToBe platform o Smart Cities Information System (SCIS) Among the most well-known, we believe that there is a latent need unattended in our local administrations.
We want to make available to the Catalan local government a space of knowledge that we will call "Observatory of the DigiCanvis" with two essential functionalities:
- Database of digital transformation projects that work locally.
- Discussion forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and experiences that facilitate the achievement of digital government in the local world.
Such a service can lead to open threads and discussions on the digital transformation of local Catalan administrations, and unexpected connections of experience and talent.
The starting point for the new service will be theObservatory of Disruptive Technologies Opportunities in the Local World Created in 2018. On that occasion, the focus of the initiative was on the most innovative projects being implemented in councils around the world using disruptive technologies (blockchain, robotics, artificial intelligence, etc.)
We will now open the focus - set the wide angle - and look at digital transformation projects that will not always be associated with the use of disruptive technologies. Sometimes it is a skillful combination of new ideas, processes and organizational techniques to obtain quality public services that respond to the problems, needs and expectations of people. As he said Captain Lettuce, a fictional character from the 90s who was the driving force behind social change in Catalonia: "Small changes are powerful." There are no miraculous recipes or technologies. Big transformations are the sum of small changes skillfully applied: digiChanges.
Therefore, the digital transformation projects that we will document will refer to:
- Services: Introduction of completely new services, services significantly improved to adapt them to the new context or services that incorporate small changes which, when introduced with skill, produce true transformations.
- Processes and procedures: Redefining or creating new administrative processes and procedures by introducing new techniques, computer programs, etc.
- Organization: Implementation of new organizational methods in practices, workplace organization or user relationships, using new tools and techniques such as networking communities, virtual learning environments, collaborative and remote work , etc.
Information for the listings
Each digital transformation project will have a tab with multimedia information structured in 6 levels:
- Title of the project
- We local who carried it out and contact people
- Description of the project and its value. Savings generated
- Analysis of the project with regard to:
- Barriers and difficulties
- Benefits and opportunities
- Technology, methodology and tools used
- Phase in which the project is (prototype, piloting, implanted)
- Documentation and dissemination material: articles, demos, videos, etc.
Two ways to access the tokens
- Km0 projects: We will work on the concept of proximity or zero kilometer: knowledge is transmitted through word of mouth, spread like wildfire,… Encourages competition, savings, project scalability and sustainability.
- Foreign projects: We will work on the idea that local governments around the world are moving, doing things, transforming… Our administrations cannot stand still. If they do not find a proximity project that suits their needs, they will be able to explore projects of distant local administrations but with similar characteristics.
- First line of citizen care: Virtual assistants, chatbots, system for collecting and exploiting complaints and suggestions, etc.
- Services and formalities: Digital public services with a transversal (inter-administrative) vision, personalized and proactive. Agile, easy and secure digital processing; 24h, simplified procedures, easy to use (usability) and trustworthy. Pe Enrollment and enrollment service for teaching and activities, integrated ticket management system, public procurement platform, etc.
- Social services: Digital public services in the field of social services Pe Recommendation for aid, Telecare for the elderly, etc.
- Participation / Open Government: Platforms, mechanisms and instruments for citizen participation, electronic voting, transparency portal, open data, etc.
- Public planning and management: Systems for improving public planning and management, tools to facilitate decision-making and measuring the impact of plans and programs, etc. using artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning and data analysis (BigData). Predictive analysis applied to urban mobility, safety and services on public roads.
- Comprehensive transformation, cultural change: Digital transformation projects of public administrations with a holistic vision: technological and organizational.
Status of the project
Under construction: Conceptualization of the observatory made. Inventory of projects that we will document in the process of preparation.